Monday, September 7, 2009

Delta Fair



Every year when I was little we would go to the Mid-south Fair. We rode rides, played games, ate until our tummy ached and went to the rodeo. Now I am a parent and it's my turn to share the excitement with my children. The name and location of the fair have changed since I was little but it still holds all the excitement. Megan, her friend Hayes and I went on Saturday and then we returned again on Sunday with only Megan and Rachel. Surprisedly, Megan would not ride many of the bigger rides. Odd since she rode all the rides at Disney World. Smart girl..she must have also spotted the worker holding a wrench next to the Swing Ride. LOL.. At one point they stopped the ride and allowed it to work without any passengers. So my curiosity got the best of me and I ask "What's going on?". He told me when the heat rises they must adjust the hydraulics of the ride. OK????? I'll accept that answer-I think. Rachel was more interested in the games than the rides. Has anyone ever really won at the Ball Toss game? The worker decided he was going to SHOW US HOW'S IT'S DONE. OK.. please do! He misses once, he misses twice and yes even three times!!! So he tries again.. and still misses!!! By then, I had already handed over my $5 dollars for 3 balls. We walked away empty handed but Rachel did manage to go home with a 6ft baseball bat. How you ask? The oldest game around, GUESS your age, Guess your weight, Guess your birthday (by two months in small print). So the worker guesses Megan's weight first and is wrong only because the scale is wrong. Then it's Rachel's turn. I kid you not he says to Rachel "you look like you know where the cookie jar is". Then he also guesses her weight wrong and he say's "alright you little booger picker-go pick out your prize". Unfortunately, I had left my assertive personality at home that day and allowed this man to belittle my daughter. Hopefully this hurtful comment will not leave a scar. I'm ashamed to say that I also laughed at first. I'm not going to write a long excuse as to why I too laughed. I'm not really sure myself. Anyway.. this blog is not going in the direction I had intended. More importantly, we had a blast at the fair. There were times at the fair, I wanted to tell the kids "No you don't need cotton candy!" but I had a flashback of the days at the midsouth fair and I too remember begging for cotton candy, carmel apples, proto pups, funnel cakes, twinkies on a stick (wait a minute-those weren't around when I was little).... HA HA!!! It's great to relive your childhood threw your kids. Maybe one of the reasons-kids are spoiled!!!

No comments:

Mom and Congress Woman

Mom and Congress Woman

Christmas Family

Christmas Family