Sunday, November 8, 2009

A visit to the Cemetary





WOW!! There are so many stories to unlock in a cemetary!! Today my mom, the girls, my neice and I went to Mary's Chapel Cemetary. Every grave has it's own story and the life that person led. I wish each tombstone could talk. Everytime we'd see a stone, my mother would remember a memory about that person. My mother told me the story of how she had ordered her mother's stone and then her brother later went back and added more wording without her knowing. There is one tombstone in the cemetery that has 8 names on it. Most of them are children and underneath it reads how they died in a Hurricane in 1950. The girls quickly started to do the math on several tombstones and would point out the babies. The oldest relative in the cemetery are my GREAT GREAT grandparents who were born in the 1800's. It's hard to imagine what life was like for them. No cars, No computers, no telephones... maybe not even electricity since it was relatively new. What did their day consist of? Maybe working in their fields or feeding their animals. Did the children walk to school? Did they travel? No alarm clock or ringing phone to wake them up!! 100 years later and things are VERY VERY different.

No comments:

Mom and Congress Woman

Mom and Congress Woman

Christmas Family

Christmas Family