Saturday, February 20, 2010

Not the best Rollar Coaster Ride!!

A whirlwind of events took place since yesterday. Yesterday my dad went to the doctor for a headache that he's had for almost 3 weeks. It started when he fell on the ice Jan 31st. Dad is not fond of doctors so he's put it off since. After a cat scan, they discovered bleeding in his brain. I'm not positive if it was old blood or still a small drip. (still to be determined) His doctor decided to air-lift him to the Med. It took the helicopter 15 minutes to get to Memphis. I arrived shortly after and they allowed me back in the trauma center. He was alert, coherent and his usual self. He did not look like a man who needed to be next to gun shot wounds or patients who were in car accidents. After almost 15 minutes, a chaplain took me to the waiting area. If you've never been to the MED, and I pray you never do, it's a complex maze. When someone tells you that your father has been air lifted, you immediately think the worse. When they also tell you they are sending him to the MED, more bad thoughts enter your mind. THE MED is a trauma center! I will later discover that the Baptist Hospital in Ripley sent him by Helicopter because one of their ambulances was already in Jackson, TN and they like to keep the other for standby. I will also later learn that the Med was chosen because Baptist East didn't have a bed available. This information will come much later. My dad stayed in the Neuro ICU overnight and was told that at 6am on Saturday morning he would have surgery. They explained they would drill two bolts into his head to relieve the pressure. At 5:30am the next morning, the nurse called to say she was ready to wheel him back. My mother had spent the night at my house so we hurried back down to the MED and arrived close to 6:30. We assumed he was in the Operating Room and went directly to the waiting room. Come to find out he was still waiting to go to the OR. The nurse called us back and by 7am Dr. Kimball came to talk to dad. He said that he did not think it was necessary to have surgery as of yet and instead wanted to watch him for a day. He explained that if they do surgery, there's a chance the fluid will return but if they don't have surgery, he still suffers from headaches and there's a possibility of seizures. Today has been a game of waiting. I found Dr. Kimball very unapproachable with no bedside manners. I guess whats more important is his knowledge of the brain and his steady hands. A doctor has not visited again today. He is now in a regular room. Dad was given pain medicine that made him nauseous. He threw up earlier but tonight has managed to eat. Hopefully tomorrow will be a new day with new doctors and new answers! I took some pictures of him when he was still in good spirits. We joked because he knew I'd put it all over facebook for the world to see.




My 80year old Granny with her 62 year old son. I guess even at this age, their still your baby.

1 comment:

Dawn Ray of Sunshine said...

so sorry to hear. get well!!!

Mom and Congress Woman

Mom and Congress Woman

Christmas Family

Christmas Family