Monday, July 6, 2009

Graceland




Today we went to Graceland with friends from Facebook!! HA Actually, they are friends that I know from school but I speak to them more on FB than in person. It seems to be that way more and more!!! Anyway, Kathy Taylor and I realized that we both had lived here for a very long time but had yet to see the home of ROCK AND ROLL!!! So she planned the day starting at 8am. First stop, the mansion. Not exactly today's definition of a mansion. It was very surreal being inside the home and thinking about his life. How he and Precilia may have set in the Jungle Room or ate dinner from the dinning room table. Or where Lisa Marie may have played. Elvis is buried in the Memorial gardens next to his pool that is shaped like a guitar. Next to his grave is his mother, father, grandmother and a twin brother who died at birth. On his grave it reads "God knew he needed rest so he decided to take him home" As I read those words I thought about Michael Jackson who has recently passed away and how he to may have needed some rest.




Our tour did not stop at the Mansion! OH NO!! We saw Elvis' airplanes, in which one he gave to Lisa Marie for her 9th birthday. We saw his cars...a white one he gave to Pricilla and another made for Frank Sinatra but Elvis wanted it more. We saw Private Elvis-his military days. And we must have walked threw at least 5 gift shops. Every time you end a tour, it ends in the gift shop. It was definitely Elvis overload for me. I'm checking it off my list of things to do. It was a little cheesy but at the same time I enjoyed it and I'm happy we went. For lunch we decided to continue with the Theme and have lunch at HARDROCK CAFE downtown. We got home around 4:30 and now it's midnight so I'm pooped!!! I've seen enough of Memphis for awhile. I even drove by the Lorraine hotel today. I'm curious of how long Graceland will continue to give tours. Eventually, the young will not know who Elvis is, Megan and Rachel can't truly understand his Fame. Heck, I was 3 when he died. Ok so like I said, it's late and I'm exhausted so here are some pics. ENJOY!!
Here's a few songs that you may remember. I'm all shook up!! ...You ain't nothing but a hound dog!!! 'are you lonesome tonight'....

No comments:

Mom and Congress Woman

Mom and Congress Woman

Christmas Family

Christmas Family