Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Veggie lunch

When I was in Utah and also San Francisco, I had a grilled vegetable sandwich. So I thought I'd try to duplicate the same sandwich; and although not exact, my sandwich fulfills what I have been desiring.

Ingredients:

Eggplant
Roasted red peppers (you can buy fresh red peppers but what I use comes in a glass jar from Schnucks)
Butter
Wheat bread
Pesto (I bought a jar of basil pesto)

First, peel your eggplant. For lunch I use half of the eggplant. Quarter your eggplant once you have sliced. Place eggplant and roasted red pepper in a skillet with an generous amount of butter. (this is where it becomes less healthy). Add a small amount (1/2tsp)of pesto to the veggies. You can also wait and add it to the bread. As it cooks, take a slice of wheat bread and place on top of your veggies while they cook. This will just toast the bread, you could also use a toaster but why bother. I only use one slice of bread because too much bread can take away from the veggie flavors. Plus, I don't need all those carbohydrates. If you want to avoid the butter, you can cook your veggies on the grill but I'll wait till it warms up outside.
Very simple lunch and quite tasty!! I hope you will try it. I made this for my mom one day and she really enjoyed it and she usually doesn't try many new foods.

No comments:

Mom and Congress Woman

Mom and Congress Woman

Christmas Family

Christmas Family